Harvesting Soft Fruit
- Strawberry : June & July
- Raspberry (summer): late June, July, August
- Raspberry (autumn): late July, August, September
- Blackberry: July, August, September
- Red & White Currant: July, August
- Blackcurrant: late June, July
- Gooseberry: early July, August
A berry is a berry is a berry – isn’t it? Well yes, except when it isn’t, as it turns out. (RHS, The Garden, Sept 2012)
True berries: blackcurrant, grape, blueberry, gooseberry and kiwi fruit.
Drupes: cherry, peach and plum.
Drupelets: raspberry and blackberry are aggregates of many drupes.
True nuts: hazel nuts.
Not true nuts: almond and walnut
Pome fruits: apple, pear (are technically false fruits)
True fruits: strawberry