Smooth succulent leaves can be used as a substitute for spinach. Long standing hardy variety (beta vulgaris) that is bolt-resistant during hot weather.
- sow from seed from March to July in a prepared seed bed
- sow thinly in rows 15 inches (40cm) apart. Cover lightly with 1 inch (2.5 cm) of fine soil. Firm gently and keep moist. Seedlings should appear within 7-21 days.
- eventually thin to 6 inches (15 cm) apart
- keep moist and weed-free
- pick regularly a few leaves at a time. Harvest from June to October.
- protect in cloches in cold weather. Can survive the winter.
Planted spinach beet into the back patch on Friday 26 April 2019. (Johnsons seed packet)