Carex Testacea ‘Prairy Fire’ (New Zealand Hair Sedge, aka Speckled Sedge and Red Switch Grass)
- Leaf colour is brown-red.
- Flowers June to August.
- Generally a pest-free plant.
- Plant in full sun in well drained soil.
- Keep evenly moist but on the dry side.
- Use a slow-release, medium-rate fertiliser.
- Grows 40-60 cm high.
- If cutting back this plant, do so early in the growing season to allow time for new growth to mature.
Prairie Fire Sedge creates a fiery display of colour, with upright, slender, green-bronze foliage tipped with orange highlights. In full sun this deep orange colouring intensifies, creating a dramatic look. Colour persists through most of the winter in warmer climates. This New Zealand native does best in moist, well-drained soil, but will adapt to drier conditions once established. Its size and upright habit make a great focal point in mixed containers.
** We planted this type of ornamental grass into our living room window box, summer 2018. In May 2020 we moved the window box grasses to the woods garden into the new area created to the removal of the large leaf compost box (which had been set alight by an arsonist in February 2019).