Carex Testacea ‘Prairy Fire’ (New Zealand Hair Sedge, aka Speckled Sedge and Red Switch Grass)
- Leaf colour is brown-red.
- Flowers June to August.
- Generally a pest-free plant.
- Plant in full sun in well drained soil.
- Keep evenly moist but on the dry side.
- Use a slow-release, medium-rate fertiliser.
- Grows 40-60 cm high.
- If cutting back this plant, do so early in the growing season to allow time for new growth to mature.
** We planted this type of ornamental grass into our living room window box, summer 2018.
Prairie Fire Sedge creates a fiery display of colour, with upright, slender, green-bronze foliage tipped with orange highlights. In full sun this deep orange colouring intensifies, creating a dramatic look. Colour persists through most of the winter in warmer climates. This New Zealand native does best in moist, well-drained soil, but will adapt to drier conditions once established. Its size and upright habit make a great focal point in mixed containers.