It’s important to leave a few patches of stinging nettle in the wilder part of a garden, as it’s an essential food plant for developing butterflies.
Plants for Butterflies
- Cosmos are an important source of nectar for butterflies.
- Ivy is the food-plant of holly blue butterfly caterpillars and many moth species – including swallowtail moth.
- Nettle and blackberry are also important plants which support butterfly throughout their life cycle.
- Sat 23 March 2019 – saw an orange butterfly with brown/black markings in the back patch
- Sun 24 March – saw a yellow butterfly at the allotment
- Sat 30 March on the allotment, we saw a Comma Butterfly (aka anglewing butterfly) – with orange / brown wing markings – very friendly! We also saw a white cabbage butterfly and a creamy yellow butterfly.