chilly days and first harvests

CIMG7550copy2

Bumblebee in nasturtium, 11 May 2020

It’s been quite cool – with threats of morning frosts and daytime temperatures of 10 degrees or so.  Which feels chilly after days in the 20s, but fairly sunny all the same – despite the strong gale force winds.

Between Sunday and Monday we had sustained winds of up to 40 miles an hour, and lots of branches have come down in the woods and the local open space.

The water repair continued and when we got to the plot our water trough was empty.  So we had to lug all the water up from the bottom track again – but thank goodness the water was filling into the lower level troughs.  Just lots more work for us.

So far we’ve not had any major frost damage – but it was probably coldest last night so today will tell the full tale.

CIMG7538

Zucchini fruit forming – 11 May 2020

I’m especially worried about the tomato and also the zucchini plants (which are already setting out fruit and seem to like their pots which are sunk into the new raised bed which is almost entirely full of manure).

Hopefully our corn plants are hardy enough by now to survive.   Interplanted into the corn are three or four sunflower plants – which are growing very slowly but perhaps just in suspended animation due to the colder temperatures in the past week.  Sadly, the potted sunflower that I had near our strawberry stairs was damaged and the plant broken off at the stalk.  I’m still watering, but do think that one is probably beyond saving.

CIMG7537copy

sweet corn & sunflower patch. 11 May 2020

With water running we were able to give the full plot a good watering yesterday – including new wildflower beds sown over near the newt pond, and the reclaimed strawberry patch on H’s side.  After watering I fussed in the growing shack, inspecting trays of seeds which failed to grow.  None of the brassica and broccoli seeds I started have come up, though I’ll try again, though I do have three rather weakly calvero nero plants in small pots.  I then potted up the two large tomato plants that are still in the shed — our four other tomatoes have already been planted into the plots, with the beefsteak tomato plant with a large plastic tub as a cloche against frost damage, and two yellow tumbling cherry tomato plants in pots at the end of the garlic bed.

CIMG7552copy

Our first strawberry harvest – 11 May 2020

I’m experimenting with a branch cutting off a tomato – I took a branch and dipped it into rooting hormone and then potted it, to keep in the shed.  This method of branch cuttings is meant to be a good, easy way to propagate tomato plants, and is much easier than starting from seed.  Fingers crossed it works well with this one trial – in which case I’ll repeat again!

CIMG7533

Damask rose in glory. 11 May 2020

We finished the day yesterday by taking a small harvest from the patch – our first very small punnet of strawberries!

And we also have six tiny radish.

Which makes all the hard work worth it.  Yay!

 

 

About smallPaws

A tumbleweed from Canada who's been living in London for twenty or so years.
This entry was posted in allotment journal, diary, harvests & feasts. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s